Monday, September 24, 2007

Street light night light

There is no need for a night light in my room. there is no need for a desk lamp. My desk is near the window and the window lets in light. Yes during the day...but also during the night. It is not like sunlight's yellow bright light, this light is an electrical orange you might see around the vicinity of a prison. About ten feet away from my window on the second floor stands a massive street light. It comes on around 6:30 and doesn't shut off until mid morning. this street light would serve as a great nightlight if i ever needed one. It does work as a good desk lamp though. when I close my venetian blinds, the light is cut it slits that line my wall. the blinds look whitish orange as they absorb a small portion of the light.

anything in its path is illuminated by the strips of light. the object's shadow is then printed on anything behind it in such sharp lines.

As the lines of light move their way into my room they bend over my desk, being sure not to break itself. sometimes the lines look blurred on other surfaces, the light is a sharp orange illumination. light gleems off of anything metallic or smooth plastic... my phone, a picture frame, plastic bag, tin can, surf board, and door knob.

small lights from electronics also stand out in the orange stripped room. red numbers on the digital clock, blue dots of the hard drives, yellow from the amplifier. my computer screen also holds off the orange strips but when the screen saver comes on, it gives into the piercing lines and over the dark screen orange flows.

light comes through the cracks around the door from the hallway, but it is still dimmed due to the orange.

you may wonder "is it possible to sleep in this?" It is not...naturally. I have constructed a heavy dark curtain to shield the light rays of this midnight sun.

1 comment: