Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fremantle Doctor


An overcast day at the beach yielded a sounds smothered by wind and waves. Sitting in the sand with your head close to the earth, you may hear more than the overpowering sounds of the wind and waves. A low, sort of muted through transfer hum can be heard from the ground. The earth emits a rumble as the waves crash on it's shore.

standing on the beach, the wind passed over my ears and created a hoosh sound that was constant. As i turned the position of my body, I could hear it less or more. It reminded me of sailing with my mother and how she taught me to know exactly what direction the wind is coming from by feeling and hearing it evenly on each ear.

The occasional bird squawk or person's yell were audible over the wind and waves but not much else.


(picture is of my girlfriend's ear and the overcast sky)

No comments: