Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Shooting Super 8

When clicking on single frames its easier. like filming stop animation or something. When shooting at 18 fps, the rapid jitter of the shutter opening and closing mixed with the film speeding out of the reel make me nervous. It is unlike shooting video in that what you shoot, you cannot shoot over. you're permanently imprinting that image on the film. When holding down the trigger, that noise leads me to think that I am shooting much more footage than I actually am. Shooting too much footage is a nervous feeling in itself when film is limited.

this is somewhat how i felt on our music video shoots. I didn't want to waste film by getting the beginning and tail ends of the actions. The ever present feeling that one i got a shot, i got it also haunted me a little. I became more comfortable with the noise and the notion the last day of our shoot. It also helped that we had some film left over. I think the more i shoot with film, the more comfortable I will become with the sounds of the camera telling me to rush and conserve.

1 comment:

silvashan said...

its a good thing to learn to conserve. it makes you think out every shot. happy accidents can still happen, but its not the feeling like with video where you're sort of "ah, i'll just shoot and fix it in post." with film you really have to think about composition, timing, lighting, framing, blocking, everything! i love that part of it. there's a real art to it. you're making creative and technical decisions all the way.

and the camera noise...soon that hum will become like music to your ears. such a lovely sound. it lets you know that magic is happening. :-)