Sunday, August 26, 2007

Artist

From the time I could sit up at a table until my late childhood, I sat in on my mother's art classes she taught in our basement. It was there that I developed at an early age some skills that would prove more valuable than many learned in school. My mother, a painter/sketch artist/ retired hippie and my father, a carpenter/ sculptor/ dancer moved our family around a lot as kids going from Arlington, VA to Maui Hawaii, Tokyo Japan, Beijing China, and back to Arlington. Not to mention several moves within each city. Art has always been a very important expressant in our family. In highschool, I became interested in film.

My art inspiration and aspirations: distinct colors, lights, and vivid costumes are what inspire me. I watched David Lynch's BLUE VELVET last night... that was inspiring. And also filmed in Wilmington. As far as experimental film goes, I was a little annoyed at first viewing. "whats the point" "whats the story" "what am I seeing". I was looking to find something that just wasnt there. I could not apply my narative film critique on these films. with another class came another view of expirimental film and as I embrassed it, I was inspired to to manipulate the film medium in unique ways and satisfy myself.

Im excited about the things that will be done in this class. Im excited to do art with others and share art with others.

2 comments:

silvashan said...

"distinct colors, lights, and vivid costumes" - lets see all of these elements in your projects!!! And keep that openness to what else film might be...

does story make film?

how else might film communicate?

how does poetry communicate? how does abstract painting communicate?

are there ways unique to film for communicating?

and can all of this new stuff be used by you for your own art? narrative? performance? otherwise?

push, push, push all semester long.

Annie Elizabeth Segrest said...

you continuously blow me away with your creations, your brain never stops turning...GoooooooOOOOOOO OLIVER!